Sunday, December 27, 2020

Landscape quilting progress

Today I tackled the mitered borders on the landscape quilt.  Although far from perfect, I am satisfied with the results and will move forward. Next step is to bind the quilt  (easy as I have done a lot of binding in my sewing years)  and then the fun part, free motion stippling.  That will be the best part of this whole project.


I chose a subtle printed cotton in the same orangey-gold shade of some of the flowers to be the inner narrow border. A 1-inch wide strip was sewn to 4" wide strips of the background fabric.  They were then sewn to the trimmed quilt picture, and I spent several hours trying to get the miters as good as possible. I resorted to hand sewing two of the miters as I just could not get them right on the machine. I doubt that my miters are actually 45 degrees, but who is checking?  


Now I can see that you want a bigger picture to begin with as there isn't that much area for stippling. Not to worry, there are going to be more of these quilts in my sewing future. I already have a second one planned in my mind and am anxious to get fussy cutting for that one. 

Overall, I am fairly pleased with my final result here, I will post once more with the finished quilt, once it is bound and stippled, blocked and hung on the wall. 

My thanks to Nancy Zeiman and Natalie Sewell for their wonderful books on landscape quilting. I often thought of Nancy as I was making this, and I hope to meet her one day in the great beyond.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Landscape Quilt

The other landscape quilt isn't panning out, I just can't get into it so I thought put it away for another day. So I started o...