Saturday, February 20, 2021

Winter Sowing 2021

 I have sowed 47 bottles so far.  Here's hoping for success.  I watched a youtube video from Getting Clean on the Prairies  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWENZMdym9s).  She lives in a zone 3A in Saskatchewan and her weather seems pretty similar to ours here in central/northern Ontario.

Last year was the first year she tried winter sowing and she met with 75% success.  I will be thrilled if I meet with that much success, even 50% would make me happy.


The patio table with bottles now covered with snow


The picnic table now taking the overflow

My husband says it looks like a dinner set out for a feast and all the guests disappeared and winter came in.  Perhaps some alien from space would find this and wonder what everyone was drinking. 

So I have sowed seeds for pansies, snapdragons, hollyhocks, lupins, lavatera, marigolds, shasta daisies, poppies, alyssum, foxgloves, calendula, gernaiums, petunias, columbine, amaranth dread locks, cosmos, larkspur, rudbeckia, forget-me-nots, nigella, nicotiana, canterbury bells, bachelors buttons, bells of Ireland, blackeyed susans, and sunflower cherry rose.  And one container with leeks.  That is the only vegetable so far, but I will also winter sow a few varieties of lettuce, and tomatoes can be started this way in mid March.  

Fingers crossed.  At least no one can see our back yard unless they have a pair of magnifying glasses. So I don't look as foolish as I feel about this.  








No comments:

Post a Comment

New Landscape Quilt

The other landscape quilt isn't panning out, I just can't get into it so I thought put it away for another day. So I started o...