Thursday, March 4, 2021

Dawn jeans finished

All except for the hems which I will leave until I am sure all the shrinkage is out of this fabric. Too often I have hemmed pants and found them too short after a few washes. So these will just be rolled up for a month or two until they have been washed a few times. As usual, I have trouble with the waistband. You struggle to make pants fit and everything is going fine, you finally get them fitting as you want and then you attach the waistband and it all goes wonky. This happens to me so often, that now I baste on the waistband and wear them around for a day before doing the final stitching. I also left the interfacing out of this band, as I just didn't want any more stiffness. The fabric is a heavy twill and I don't think jeans commercially made are interfaced in any area. So why should I interface my jeans? Besides I always wear my teeshirts and shirts out, not tucked in, so no one will ever see this band. My waist is not something I want to show off.
I had made a few pairs of jeans years ago when the Vogue Calvin Klein pattern was released. This must have been 35 years ago. And I seem to recall that it was the outseams that were double top-stitched. All of today's jean patterns do this double top-stitching on the inseams now, and the outseam is only single top-stitched down to the bottom of the pocket and then a bar-tack is done at that point. Not sure I like this, the top-stitching is not very visible this way, and why go to all that bother if it's not going to be seen? I think, the next pair I make, I will top-stitch the outseams instead. I remember doing this with difficulty as the legs were sewn up and you had to stitch down inside the tube. But it would be simple to leave the inseam to the end and then you could top-stitch the outseams while the legs can be laid out flat. All in all, I am pretty happy with this pattern. It fits me much better than the Ginger or the Morgan jeans and I do prefer non-stretch denim. Also, I obviously prefer a high waisted pant. Mid-rise or low-rise pants always feel as if they are falling down and I am constantly tugging at the waist to pull them up where I want them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Landscape Quilt

The other landscape quilt isn't panning out, I just can't get into it so I thought put it away for another day. So I started o...