Sunday, August 1, 2021

Knitting a shawl

I wanted a project that would just be interesting knitting with no fitting issues to deal with. So I decided to make the Suncrest Shawl by Tanis.
I has one ball of silk/wool sock yarn, hand-dyed by a local artisan and it was lovely to work with. It was just too pricey to knit socks with it, so a shawl was just the right project for this yarn.
This image does not do justice to the colour; it is much more variegated and a prettier shade of green than this image shows. I had great difficulty keeping the counting straight and there are many errors. After unpicking long rows a couple of times, I thought that I would just get to the end of the row and either add or decrease stitches to get the right number at the end. It seemed to work. The lace pattern was not at all visible until I completely soaked it and spread it out to block. Now I can see the pattern and it is lovely. This will be a gift for my daughter Elena, as I am not a shawl person. However, I do enjoy knitting them and am looking at the Great British Baking Shawl as a future project. I particularly like knitting with double weight yarn, rather than worsted weight. It is just much more comfortable and it also weighs less as you knit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Landscape Quilt

The other landscape quilt isn't panning out, I just can't get into it so I thought put it away for another day. So I started o...