Saturday, June 20, 2020

What's blooming now


Here in central/northern Ontario, our summers are very short.  Little begins to bloom until the end of June and much of the garden looks bare. The temptation is to fill it all up with annuals, but then the perennials will struggle to get through.


Here in the bed beside the driveway, a peony blossomed today. And just behind is a gorgeous iris  with one bloom out and four more waiting to pop. I love the intricate flower of iris and these two-toned ones are simply beautiful.


The soft purple and blush pink is outstanding.

 

I think the day's  heat  is making  these peony flowers curl. We have gone from cool spring to full-on  summer and today is already 30 plus with a humidex of 37. (89 Fahrenheit to 96). And dry, there has been no rain for over a week. This seems to be typical Ontario summer, hot and dry.


Lupins flowering in the driveway bed. This bed gets full morning sun, from about 7 am to 1 or 2 in the afternoon.


Some irises that surprised me when they  bloomed.  I don't remember planting them here but I must have.


And some  lovely aliums in the bed on  the  east side of the house.


In a corner of a front bed, I have struggled with various plants and nothing seems to survive. So I put in a Gold Lace Juniper. I hope that it will get enough sun to do well here.  It gets about 6 hours of sun here. The plant makes me think of people who have got blonde highlights put in their hair. Highlights that are well done.


Pots on the back deck. Several begonias with lobelia and bacopa, a fuchsia and some coleus just taking hold.


A  pot  at  the bottom of the deck steps, with a grass in the centre, and  pink and purple flowers around, I've forgotten their names.

Meanwhile it is watering, watering and more watering.





















No comments:

Post a Comment

New Landscape Quilt

The other landscape quilt isn't panning out, I just can't get into it so I thought put it away for another day. So I started o...